Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Restaurant Style Salsa!

I seriously love salsa and chips. I've been known to eat salsa and chips as an entire meal. I LOVE going to Mexican restaurants and buying the salsa to go (mostly because they also send bags and bags of those chips home with you too...and those chips are RIDIC amazing!) So I was seriously craving some restaurant salsa today but it's kind of expensive to buy from the restaurant. So I found a recipe online. LET.ME.TELL.YOU.

Yum.

But really...it was delicious...and super easy. I followed the recipe pretty exactly and it was super spicy. The only difference is I didn't add the cumin and I only used one can of Rotel because it was all I had. I can only imagine how spicy it would have been had I used 2 cans of RotelI'm a heat lightweight but even Matt said it was hot and he loves spicy food. Here's the recipe straight from the website (Pioneer Woman ). By the way...don't even try and get me to eat the jar kind of salsa from the store. nas.tay.

1 can of whole tomatoes and juice
2 cans of Rotel (with the green chilies in it)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 jalapeno split in half and then sliced (leave the seeds in for the spicy version!)
1 clove of garlic chopped
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Juice from a lime
An entire bunch of cilantro


I'm a cilantro freeeeak. I put in the whole bunch (minus stems) and I probably could have put in some more. It has soooo much flavor. If you don't like a whole lot of cilantro then don't add a whole lot. And...I'm sorry if you don't like cilantro. That's pretty sad for you. :) 


So just add all the stuff into a food processor or blender. It makes a HUGE batch. But it seriously won't last long. Here's what I'm going to do differently next time.
Either get rid of the Rotel all together and just substitute a can of tomatoes. Or use one can of Rotel and cut the seeds and veins out of the jalapeno. Also, I added a little extra sugar. You won't need anymore salt though, because the chips you'll use to dip have salt on them!


This is actually a really cheap recipe to make too! (Gotta love cheap and delicious.) (ahem. That's what she said)

No comments:

Post a Comment